Sunday 27 January 2013

field works visual note book about my interaction with PISO proyecto as guest to their Practica sessions during my "voyage to Puerto Rico "

During my trip to Puerto Rico coming from Cali , Colombia on the first days of December , I have 'encountered" all sort and most of unexpected situations , relations , reactions and context .
On this mode for the unsuspected , I "improvised" or decided to improvise at a very inspiring "action " I happen to be taken to .
The "action" consisted of PISO proyecto:http://pisoproyecto.org/
The context and the space was a "barrio" a "department for goof food" El Departamento de la Comida ( see link ) and its back streets .
Musicians playing and singing navidad music taked us for a mini ride "pasa calle" as in the most traditional style where we stop at the front of the houses and sing along and clap with the neihgbors all desiring each other Felicidades , Happiness .
Later we entered El Departamento, the PISOS where all placed close to each other, but separate in the front space at the entrance of the dept .
A woman stept and started to move... a bit later another also started on PISO .... people will look and drift with their eyes all around the shapes formes positions that those bodies where taking. At a point , I got a small call inside me : my dancer body , my improviser contact dance latest memories arising like forgotten hibernated seeds (it was at least 8 or 9 years since I had not interacted any more) called me to action. 
Mi long journey as a Dancer has implied my own disappearance as such . Where have they gone so many thousands hours and millions of minutes of dedicated hardship of physical devotion to the Goddess of Dance ? 





                Pictures of me dancing in 1996 in Barcelona for a catalogue of 
                           my show that used visual installation and live performance too.

I know there are here with me , as with the rest of my past , is past but it is also part of me now and part of the masses of experience that I have acquired during this long journey as an artist or actor or medium. At that moment I must say , that the so called "call" was also taking place , due to my sense of the comunal situation that PISO was generating , and because I had not forgotten that such setting was also given to the public too. (Any one is welcome ! said their invitation /announcement)I just felt like collaborate or to start so that others could follow ... No one knew my past as dancer , no one really really know who I am or what I have done (a person of my kind, that constantly practices disappearance as her main tactic , does not leaves many clues , many titles , materialised identities to wich any one can be guided) On the contrary , my almost complete exercice on disappearance does not leaves many clues to any one to actually pin me down.
I felt free to jump on the PISO , and so I did .
I taked it from where I am staying this times since a wile now.. minimal presence , standing still, no movement , small gestures etc etc....




doing PISO improvised encounters at El Departamento de la Comida in Santurce 

My intention to actually encourage the public to imitate me did not succeed. Never the less ,I got to know Noemí Segarra , the "artifice" of PISO. She was keen in talking to me and asked me a few questions about my "dance context or relation".She had just stablished her self into her home land back from a life in New York and Venezuela and after some critical moment she had decided to expand her "framework" and went to Beta-Local and did a whole La Practica, wich is one of the few lines of work that Beta-Local provides from their Head Quarters in Viejo San Juan . 
During this experience , Noemí developed PISO proyecto and has also found a few colleagues to explore further and create what she now  calls La Practica , of PISO. 
(see blog )
It is from that place and mind state , that Noemí was inviting me to be "guiding" her directed Practica de Piso for a few sessions. For me this experience , the connection with Noemí , to have found her at this point its been very refreshing and positive on a times where almost every where I just found deception, rejection or alienation .
She is interested in the kind of issues that also appeal to me, and I am happy to find my self less alone .
She is more committed , more "mover" still than me , even though she feels she has break and expanded "that dance" and she has, but when I say we have points of connection and common zones of interest etc etc I am not meaning we are at the same place too.

My own "path" intricate and so unbearably light ,had left dance and movement to just life and some quotidian gestures or dances at a party . My movement and my been a dancer , is gone in to this inmaterial zone of concepts , narrations , tales and dreams.

My latest works that comment on my movements are the "urban interventions" where I stand near a "place/space" found at walking around my own "barrio" in London .
And I am wanting to continue the exploration and take it further.

For my "passing /becoming PISO " I had photocopied a micro publication from the latest DOCUMENTA13 with the text from Michael Taussig about Field Work Note Books .
I hade made my own pirate zine out of it and to made the copies and spread them around already felt subversive some how...



We expend most of the first session talking , because as I recalled , in my times "dancers never talked " nor developed critique or where asked ro do so . Only one kind of "rol" will reserve such activities and this was the Choreographer.
I explained to them where I was coming from , my Spain, with Franco, the Institut de Teatre with out Contemporary Dance department ( my class inaugurated this era ) . My trips to London, my disinterest on Martha Graham tech once I was very good at it ... my instinct for more than just dance ..my crisis the gap of almost 15 years and then my coming back again to Dance, this time to find people of my own generation that had developed stuff like "contact dance" 'release" and Improvisation..I also talked about AREA in Barcelona , and Monica Extremiana's great teaching and methods for structuring the "impro sessions" .
And finally how I drifted out again from the whole dance world when I left for London 15 years ago.

They also explained me from where they came from... and it is amazing how, (some of them could be my own kids by age) their main existence and presence and the main existence of PISO as project etc etc means that my "worries and crisis" where part of something bigger ( it always is) related to a generation and its limitations and its breaking points. 



It was exciting to find out that people coming from photography or architecture where getting involved is such vanguardist project as PISO is . 

   Noemí Segarra picturing as part of the practica 
   relation between "pisadores" and the the others 



Coral and Cristina embodying PISO 


We meet up for two more times in wich we derived in different urban zones/ points and we all had our PISO moments in and out of it . I have asked them to please see if they could put down some text related , in any format or shape too so that we can publish a small zine ( just as the one I had give them the first day )
so we are waiting for this... mean wile 


                     
                                    Ivan at motorway 
The experience that I am about to visually narrate , has activated many things , and has happened not for chance .
thanks to Noemí Segarra for all this great times .



Coral Pisando on moving platform at La Laguna 

                   
                      Situation where we are perceived by the viewer photographer as mover and performer 
                                             


Third and last session , where I ask to go to interact at La Placita , and The Fruit Market



me interacting inside a fruit market , my figure , the figure of fruits, body and objects 



Felix picturing as practice and relation to Pisadores


me doing PISO with fruits with Gladys a lady from el Barrio clapping to "el son"

                        
                        Noemi Segarra with her PISO 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Barcelona Spirit stills live inside the damp small streets and Absinth scent

My friend and I know this very well Wet sex damp street wild cats sweet-sour amber drink Drawing our life as it goes by Dying at e...